Skip menus

The big Monster tries a move

A terrain motor vehicle is a motor vehicle that is mainly used for passenger or freight transport in terrain. Terrain vehicles are divided into terrain cars and terrain cars.

The basic rule is that it is forbidden to drive power-driven vehicles in terrain, but there are exceptions. The exceptions apply if it occurs in connection with agricultural or forestry and in connection with certain professional activities. Contact the county administrative board or the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency for
questions about driving in the terrain.

Terrain cars and light terrain cars must not be driven by public roads, but only on individual roads, but there are exceptions. Anyone who, in the course of such an off-road motor vehicle, needs to cross a non-private road may do so by the shortest appropriate route. The same applies if, in view of the terrain conditions, it is necessary to travel on the road. When traveling on a road, drive the vehicle at maximum 20 km / h.

Heavy terrain carriage must be driven by road, including public road.

A driver of a motor vehicle driving out of the terrain must stop the vehicle before driving on a road. The driver shall give preference to road users on the road.

Registered off-road motor vehicles used in commercial traffic for passenger transport and registered terrain vehicles used in rental operations shall be inspected.

Terrain motor vehicles have some different rules for what is service weight and what is total weight. Read more on page about weights.
Terrain Wagon

A terrain vehicle is a terrain motor vehicle with a service weight of more than 450 kg. Terrain cars are divided into light and heavy terrain cars. Light terrain caravan has a service weight of no more than 2 tonnes. Heavy terrain caravan has a service weight of over 2 tonnes.

Heavy terrain wagon with a braked trailer may run for a maximum of 50 km / h. Not more than 40 km / h applies to unbroken trailers. There are more speed limits depending on how many trailers and how they look. See Traffic Regulations 4 ch. §20.

Vehicles with tires must not drive faster than 20 km / h. Vehicles with wheeled rings of iron or other hard material that can damage the road must not be driven at higher speeds than 10 km / h on the road.
Other requirements for terrain carriage

Driving license requirements: B-license. Read more about which vehicles you are allowed to drive on B permissions.

Registration Sign: Yes.

Read more about registration plate.

Inspection: See the section on control inspection above.

Vehicle tax: It depends on how the vehicle is used. Read more on our page taxable vehicles.

Road insurance: Yes. Read more about traffic insurance.
Terrain scooters

Terrain scooter is a terrain motor vehicle with a service weight of 450 kg maximum. Terrain cars are divided into snowmobiles and terrain vehicles.

A snowmobile is a terrain scooter designed to travel on snowy ground and is provided with bands and coins. All other terrain cars, not a snowmobile, are called terrain wheels, a kind of four-wheel drive.

A terrain scooter may only be driven in terrain and not on the road. There are exceptions, see the text above about the exceptions. If a terrain scooter has to travel on the road, it may run at no more than 20 km / h.
Helmet requirements for terrain scooters

You should use a helmet when riding a terrain scooter, ie a snowmobile or a terrain wheel.
"Golf cart"

A "golf car" is a terrain motor vehicle only when used on and adjacent to the golf course, even though the vehicle is not intended to be used in unpaved terrain. This according to a regulation issued by the Swedish Road Safety Agency (TSVFS 1991: 33).
Other requirements for terrain scooters

Driver's license for snowmobile
Driver's license.

Have you taken a driving license or a tractor card before January 1, 2000, you can drive off-road scooters.

Registration Sign: Yes.

Read more about registration plate.

Inspection: Yes, if the vehicle is used in hiring or in commercial traffic.

Read more about inspection.

Vehicle tax: No.

Road insurance: Yes.

Read more about traffic insurance.